Lori's record is one of leadership in times of challenge.
Lori was named one of the "Top Ten Lawyers in America" by the national
publication Lawyers USA. The national publication HealthLeaders
named Lori as one of the top 20 Americans making a difference in health care.
Lori received the Robert Drinan "Champion of Justice" award for her work to
reform the credit arbitration industry. She received the Pro Patria award for
her work on behalf of military personnel. And the Drum Major Institute of New
York, an organization inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., designated Lori's
predatory mortgage lending legislation as one of the top ten policies in
As Attorney General, Lori is the state's chief legal officer. She represents
the people of Minnesota and the State of Minnesota. Lori has helped to level the
playing field on behalf of ordinary Minnesotans—the vast majority of folks who
don't have high-priced lawyers or lobbyists looking after their interests.
Lori helps regular people, even when it means taking on powerful interests:
- Lori cracked down on adoption agencies that tricked young couples with phony
promises and excessive fees.
- She went to bat for students who paid thousands of dollars in tuition to
for-profit colleges based on false accreditation promises and to stop loan
officers who offered undisclosed incentives to college personnel for the
referral of students to their company.
- She kicked debt collection agents out of hospital emergency rooms.
- She saved families millions of dollars in utilities bills by opposing price
hikes in home heating costs and stopping unfair pricing schemes.
- Her industry-wide agreement stopped hospitals from charging uninsured
patients up to four times more for the same services than insurance companies
pay. (Minnesota is the only state with this agreement.)
- She drafted legislation to curb cyber bullying of kids, to crack down on
domestic abusers, to give prosecutors stronger tools to go after sexual
exploitation and synthetic drugs, and for stronger background checks on
guardians who care for our elderly.
- She stopped hospitals and online payday lenders from charging usurious
interest rates to patients.
- She shut down companies that tricked cash-strapped families into buying
bogus health discount plans that wouldn't cover people's illness when they got
- She tackled collection companies that badgered families with manufactured
"evidence" of money they didn't owe.
- She stood up for senior citizens in lawsuits against trust mills, insurance
companies, security alarm companies, and other companies that ripped them off.
- She turned the heat on propane companies that misrepresented prices and
fees, securing refunds for families who heat their homes with propane gas.
- She secured reforms with phone companies over deceptive contract extensions
and "crammed" charges.
- Lori shut down the nation's largest consumer arbitration company for hiding
its financial ties to the country's largest collection law
Lori Swanson. Results. That Touch Lives.